The Registered Nursing program is a two-year-long program accredited by the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) that prepares entry-level nurses with the knowledge and skills needed to provide quality patient care. Students are taught the competencies of the Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) and upon graduation will have earned an Associate in Science Degree (AS) and eligibility to take the licensure exam.
The LVN-RN Career Mobility program is a year-long program that prepares LVNs to take the licensure exam in order to practice as registered nurses. The application period begins in February. Email SCCNursingApplication@scc.losrios.edu with any questions.
Prerequisites required to apply to the RN program must be completed with a grade “C” or better and appear on your transcript (in-progress courses not accepted).
|Course Number||Course Name||Comments|
|OR||CHEM 305||Introduction to Chemistry||Required as a prerequisite to BIOL 430, BIOL 431, and BIOL 440|
|CHEM 309||Integrated General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry|
|CHEM 400||General Chemistry I|
|BIOL 440||General Microbiology|
|BIOL 430/431||Anatomy and Physiology|
|ENGWR 300||English Writing Composition|
|PSYC 300||General Principles|
|OR||COMM 301||Introduction to Public Speaking|
|COMM 331||Group Discussion|
|OR||SOC 321||Race, Ethnicity and Inequality in the United States|
|ANTH 310||Cultural Anthropology|
Note: A score of 70 or higher on the Enrollment Prescreening Criteria Form (PDF) is required to be eligible to apply to the Nursing Program.
For all courses not taken at SCC check your classes on the RN Course Equivalency Chart (PDF) to determine if courses taken at other colleges will count toward prerequisites.
If you don’t see your course from another institution on the RN Course Equivalency Chart, but believe it should be counted, do all of the following:
- Submit an official transcript for all coursework taken outside of the Los Rios Community Colleges (American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake, and Sacramento City colleges) to the Admissions and Records Office.
- Complete a Course Substitution Petition and be sure to give yourself at least two to four weeks for processing.
The TEAS exam must be completed prior to applying to the program and may be taken at any ATI testing site.
- Only the latest edition of the TEAS exam will be accepted.
- Visit atitesting.com to locate TEAS testing locations, dates and study guides.
SCC accepts the first passing TEAS score. An overall score of 62 is required to apply to the program.
For complete TEAS information, please visit the Nursing FAQs.
Steps to Apply
- Apply to Sacramento City College.
- Attend an information session.
- Review the Transcript and Course Equivalency information for any prerequisite coursework not taken at SCC.
- Review the RN online application guidelines (PDF) and application documents before completing the online application.
- Complete the online application between February 1, 2021 and February 28, 2021.
Any questions should be sent to SCCNursingApplication@losrios.edu. We will respond to your inquiry within 24 to 48 hours.
A person with a criminal/conviction history may not be allowed in a clinical facility and may not be qualified for a nursing license.
- Proof of high school graduation or equivalent, or proof of AA/AS degree
- Proof of 3.0 cumulative GPA in Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology
- Proof of 2.5 cumulative GPA in English, Psychology, Nutrition
- Hard copy of ATI TEAS test scores (and electronically have transcript sent to SCC)
- RN Application Checklist (PDF)
- RN Grade Point Average Worksheet (PDF)
- RN Program Enrollment Acknowledgement form (PDF)
- ADN Program Enrollment Prescreening Criteria form (PDF) and if applicable:
- Cover page from the online application
- If applicable: Copy of current Relevant Healthcare Certification/License
- If applicable: Documentation of Life Experiences/Special Circumstances
- If applicable: Proof of Veteran Status/Eligible Spouse
- If applicable: Language Proficiency Verification
Once the application acceptance period ends, all applications are evaluated, and multi-criteria scores confirmed. Applicants will be selected at random and once 30 qualified applicants and 10 alternates have been selected, the evaluation process ends.
Selected applicants will be emailed at the address provided on the application within eight weeks of the close of the acceptance period. Only selected applicants will be contacted.
Qualification is based on the following criteria: A score of 70 points or higher on the multi-criteria enrollment form. Submission of a complete application. Completion of all program prerequisites.
If not selected:
- You will not be contacted and telephone verification is not provided
- SCC does not maintain a waitlist for nursing.
- All submitted materials will be destroyed - SCC does not retain your application.
- A new, complete application must be submitted for any future application periods.
If accepted, students will receive instructions for completing enrollment requirements.
- Drug screen
- Background check
- CPR certification for healthcare providers
- Health screening
A Social Security Number is required for the BRN and NCLEX exams.
Once inside eServices:
- Log into eServices with your student ID and password
- Click on “Other Resources”
- Click the "Nursing Programs" in the left Column
- Click on the "Nursing Program Application" button
- Select one of the Nursing Program to enroll
The next nursing application enrollment is open February 1, 2021 — February 28, 2021.
There is one open application period in the spring semester for the following fall and spring semesters, therefore both Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 cohorts will be selected during this period.