Campus Closure Notice

Effective March 13, 2020, we have ceased in-person operations due to the COVID-19 crisis. We do not have a way to administer tests remotely at this time. Please check back weekly for updates.

You will be placed into the English and math classes that match your skill level. View your placement results in your eServices account. From your eServices dashboard, click on Academic Records, then Placements.

Using High School Records for Placement

You will be automatically placed into  English and math classes if you:

  • Graduated from a U.S. high school within the last 10 years
  • Included all of the requested information about your high school records on your college application

Submit Your High School Records for Placement

If you graduated from a U.S. high school within the last 10 years, but did not report your high school information on your application, you can send your transcripts to

Sacramento City College
Student Services Building 103
3835 Freeport Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95822

If you are sending your transcript to SCC electronically, request that it is sent to:

Use College Records for Placement

If you attended another college (outside of Los Rios), you can provide college transcripts showing that you passed certain classes. Additional forms may be necessary depending on the college and course.

Use Self-Guided Placement

If you have been out of high school for more than 10 years, have foreign high school transcripts or left high school without graduating, then you should use the self-guided placement process to determine what English and math courses to take. In order to access the Guided Self-Placement, please check your Los Rios Gmail account for an email called “How to Get Your English and Math Course Placements“. If you did not receive the email, contact

Placement for Advanced Education Students

If you are an Advanced Education student who wants to enroll in a math, English, or another class with an English or math prerequisite, you can email your unofficial high school transcript to or drop off your transcripts to the Admissions and Records Office in Student Services Building, 103.

If you plan to enroll in a class that has an English prerequisite and your cumulative GPA is between 2.7 to 2.99, you are also required to submit a letter of support from your last or current high school English teacher stating that you are capable of doing college-level work. Include the letter of support with your Advanced Education packet when submitting it to the Admissions and Records Office.

English as a Second Language (ESL) Assessment

If you are still learning English, then you can take an ESL assessment test, which will place you in an ESL class that matches your skill level. See the Assessment webpage for testing calendars, sample tests, and study suggestions.