Skip to Content

In addition to regularly scheduled credit classes, students may receive college credit for participation in the following alternative credit and study options.

Advanced Placement (AP) Scores

Students at Sacramento City College may be awarded units of credit for each Advanced Placement examination (CEEB)  they pass with a score of 3, 4, or 5.

Use this AP Credit Chart to see how Sacramento City College grants credit for AP exams.

Students will receive units/credits but not letter grades for these courses, and they will not be used in the computation of cumulative grade point average for graduation or transfer. After successful completion of 12 units at SCC, a student in good standing may submit their official CEEB Advanced Placement Test scores to the Admissions and Records Office for evaluation.

For transferring students, AP examination information is listed as it applies to meeting CSU General Education-Breadth or IGETC requirements. Students should check with their transfer institution about policies for using AP scores for admissions and/or their major. Students who have earned credit from an AP exam should NOT take a comparable college course because transfer credit will not be granted for both.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Use this IB Credit Chart to see how Sacramento City College grants credit for IB exams.

Sacramento City College may award college credit for international baccalaureate (IB) higher level course completion with scores of 5, 6, or 7, if the course work is compatible with the college’s curriculum. No credit will be granted for lower level course work completed in the IB program. Students who have earned credit from an IB exam should not take a comparable college course because transfer credit will not be granted for both.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) allows students to demonstrate their mastery of college-level material in 33 introductory subjects and earn college credit. 

  • The exam fee must be paid on the CLEP website prior to testing
  • Testing is offered year-round
  • Most exams are 90 to 120 minutes
  • Results are available immediately

Students should have completed at least 12 units at SCC prior to testing. 

Use this CLEP Credit Chart to see how Sacramento City College grants credit for CLEP exams.

Note: Students should be aware that four-year colleges have the right to accept, modify, or reject CLEP units.

ID Requirements

The CLEP requires a valid, government-issued, photo ID to take the test. School issued photo IDs can not be accepted for CLEP testing. The name on the photo ID must match the name provided on the Registration Ticket. 

ID types accepted include:

  • Government-issued passport 
  • Driver’s license 
  • State or Province ID issued by their respective motor vehicle agency 
  • Military ID 
  • National ID 
  • A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship with name, photograph and signature
  • A Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) with name, photograph, and signature

Credit by Examination

Under special circumstances, and with the concurrence of the department, students regularly enrolled and in good standing who believe they are qualified by experience or previous training may take a special examination to establish credit in a course in which they are not formally enrolled.

  1. Download the PDF download Petition for Credit By Examination/Course Challenge (PDF) or obtain a copy from the Division Office
  2. Go to the Division Office to determine if you can challenge a course via the credit by exam process
  3. After receiving approval and signatures from the Division representatives, take the form to Admissions and Records to determine eligibility (you will not be enrolled in the course at this time)
  4. If eligible, go to the Business Office to pay the appropriate fees
  5. Take the completed form to the instructor who will collect the form and administer the exam
  6. The instructor will submit the completed form, including the CBE results, to the Admissions and Records Office for processing
  7. You will receive a letter grade unless you also fill out the Pass/No Pass grade request
  8. The Admissions and Records Office will post the credit by exam course and grade at the end of the semester

Independent Studies or Special Studies

An independent studies project involves an individual student or small group of students in study, research, or activities beyond the scope of regularly offered courses. Independent studies require regular meetings between the student and instructor. Additionally, the instructor may require examinations or other measures of evaluation, field trips, term papers, and other assignments.

Please note that some four-year colleges and universities do not accept units granted through independent study. Students are encouraged to meet with a counselor for more information.

PDF download Petition for Independent Studies (PDF)

Credit for Military Service

Credit for military service is granted upon presentation of papers showing completion of basic training. A veteran may receive four (4) units of credit toward the Living Skills graduation requirement by submitting a copy of their DD214 separation papers. Under rare circumstances, veterans may also receive credit for satisfactory training completed in service school. After enrolling at Sacramento City College, a veteran may apply for evaluation of military service experience for college credit.

Study Abroad

Study abroad can be an enlightening, maturing, and life-changing experience. Students are challenged to re-examine themselves, their attitudes, and their studies as they learn to understand new and different cultures. In cooperation with the American Institute for Foreign Study, Los Rios Community College District offers unique study opportunities in cities such as:

  • London, England
  • Barcelona, Spain
  • Florence, Italy

To study abroad, students must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be in good academic standing with 12 college units completed by the time you go abroad
  • Have a minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.25

During the 13-week Study Abroad program, all students take 12 units – a three-unit Life and Culture class, an additional Los Rios class, and two other classes from the list of offerings.

Financial Aid

Financial Aid is available for study abroad.

Upcoming Study Abroad Opportunities

Learn more about current and upcoming study abroad opportunities.

Work Experience Education and Internship Program

Work experience is an academic program in which students apply what they have learned in the classroom to their job or internship site and work toward earning college credits. There are two types of programs: vocational and general.

For more information, please visit Work Experience and Internship Program (WEXP).