While there is no standard formula to be a successful mentor, there are steps you can take to improve your success.
- maintain a system for reaching out to your mentee (scheduled phones calls and/or emails)
- engage your mentee in conversation
- share information about yourself – what advice can you give about transitioning into college
- always remain open to conversation with your mentee
Do not over-commit yourself. Focus on smaller number of high-quality time with your mentee rather than longer one-on-one meetings.
Provide Encouragement and Support
This is very important when establishing the mentor/mentee relationship.
Teach and Train
You have experience in transitioning from military service into college. Share your experiences, and provide helpful tips.
Set clear and challenging goals for:
- how you will be providing your mentee with helpful information
- how you will connect your mentee to student support services
- how you will accomplish your assigned responsibilities to the VRC
Help demystify the new system of education for the new veteran student:
- Institutional policies
- Norms, standards, values, ideology, resources at SCC
- Skills and competencies necessary for advancing toward their academic goal
- Common hurdles and stumbling blocks
Self-Disclose when Appropriate
Be willing to share your success and failures if lessons are beneficial and applicable.
Allow Increasing Mutuality and Collegiality
The best mentor relationships become professional friendships.
Challenges our Mentors have Encountered in the Past:
- Learning how to set the tone for helping another person through college
- Figuring out which student services program would be most beneficial to the mentee
- Teaching the strategy of time management to the mentee
- Explaining what prerequisite courses mean
What our Mentors have Learned in their Role:
- Gained information about campus student services
- Time management skills
- How to help someone succeed
Veterans Resource Center Contact
Veteran Resource Center Representative
Got Your Six Coordinator
Performing Arts Center PAC 101
Phone: (916) 650-2951
Veterans Affairs Office Contact
VA certifying official
Admissions & Records
Student Services Building
Phone: (916) 558-2591