What tasks are performed by PAL Leaders?
- Schedule PAL group sessions outside the class/lab meetings
- Facilitate PAL group sessions with activities that focus on class content
- Prepare activities for PAL sessions, such as handouts, games, group discussions, etc.
- Consult regularly with the instructor of the class
- Attend the class/lab regularly (on-ground, synchronous online, or Canvas course room)
What is needed from a PAL Leader Applicant?
- Have earned an A or B in the class (or higher-level class) to facilitate
- Have earned an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be enrolled in a minimum of six units within the Los Rios Community Colleges
- Be recommended by the instructor of the class
- Submit a completed PAL Leader Application
What is next for applicants offered a PAL Leader position?
- Applications are reviewed after submission of all materials, which include the PAL Leader Application, Applicant’s Unofficial Transcript, and Faculty Recommendation.
- Not all applicants will be hired; yet applicants and instructors will be informed of the hiring status by the PAL Coordinator usually by the second week of the semester.
- Applicants are hired based upon the needs of the college, department, and class.
- Applicants may be hired as paid or volunteer PAL Leaders.
- Paid PAL Leaders earn the current minimum wage.
- Applicants must submit appropriate employment paperwork to the Tutorial Services Assistant (LRC-136).
- Leaders cannot begin working until given a start date by the Tutorial Services Assistant.
- Leaders are to be trained, and need to enroll in LTAT 311: Introduction to Peer Group Tutoring. A waiver may be granted for successful completion of a tutor education class.
- Leaders may need to complete LRCCD’s Sexual Harassment Policies & Prevention online training within the semester.
- Leaders are to attend at least one PAL Leader meeting (in person or virtual) during the semester.
- Leaders will submit a monthly timesheet signed by the instructor/supervisor.
PAL Program Coordinator
Loretta Richard, M.S.
Learning Resource Center, LRC 151
3835 Freeport Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95822