Important information before applying to be a PAL (Peer Assisted Learning) Leader:
- have earned a grade of "B" or better in the course to facilitate (or a higher-level course)
- have earned at least a 3.0 Overall GPA
- have the recommendation from the instructor of the course to facilitate
- are enrolled in at least 6 units at SCC (or within Los Rios Community College District) in order to be a paid student worker.
- Schedule PAL group sessions outside the class or class lab meetings
- Facilitate PAL group sessions with activities that focus on class content
- Prepare activities for PAL sessions, such as handouts, games, group discussions, study skills materials, etc.
- Consult regularly with the instructor of the class
- Attend the class and/or class lab regularly (on-ground, synchronous online, or Canvas course room)
PAL Leaders are not teaching assistants, and as such, are not to teach classes, grade assignments, provide clerical support, etc.
PAL Leaders must attend at least one PAL Leader meeting (outside the consultation meetings with professors) during the semester and successfully complete the district's online Sexual Harassment Policy and Prevention training every two years.
In addition, PAL Leaders must be trained per California State Title 5 regulations. The LTAT 311, Introduction to Peer Group Tutoring at SCC meets this requirement.
Not all applicants may be hired.
Applicants cannot begin working before:
- being contacted by the PAL Coordinator
- submitting all employment paperwork
- receiving an employment start date from the Tutorial Services Assistant.
Thank you for your interest in being a PAL Leader.
PAL Program Coordinator
Loretta Richard, M.S.
Learning Resource Center, LRC 151
3835 Freeport Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95822