Many courses and educational programs have enrollment conditions such as prerequisites, corequisites, or advisories on recommended preparation. These faculty-approved conditions are considered necessary and appropriate to ensure that students are adequately prepared to succeed in the course or educational program. It is the student’s responsibility to meet any and all enrollment conditions. If you would like to challenge a prerequisite requirement, please see the Challenge Process below.
A course that a student is required to take in order to demonstrate current readiness for enrollment in another course or educational program. For example, in order to take ENGWR 301, you must already have completed ENGWR 300 with a grade of
C or better.
A course that a student is required to take the same semester as another course, or prior to another course. For example, GEOG 300 needs to be taken with GEOG 301 or prior to taking GEOG 301.
A condition of enrollment when a student is advised, but not required to meet before, or in conjunction, with enrollment in a course or educational program.
Students enrolled in courses that have a prerequisite must provide verification to the instructor that they have met the prerequisite. Supporting evidence includes:
- Los Rios Community College District transcript that verifies that they have earned a C or better in the prerequisite course. Los Rios students may print an unofficial transcript by logging on to eServices. Instructors have access to this information on their roster if the class was taken within Los Rios since 2003 (prior course information cannot be viewed)
- Los Rios Community College District English and math placement
If a student enrolls in a course and does not meet the prerequisite, the instructor must drop the student from the course.
Your personal class schedule provides verification of current enrollment in a corequisite course or your Los Rios Community College District transcript shows prior completion of a course.
If you do not have the supporting evidence described in the "Verifying Prerequisites & Corequisites" section above, but believe that you should qualify to enroll in the course, then you may challenge a prerequisite.
Criteria for challenging a course include:
- You have the knowledge or ability to succeed in the course with the prerequisite.
- The course that provides the prerequisite is not readily available.
- You believe that the prerequisite is discriminatory or being applied in that manner.
- You believe that the prerequisite was established in violation of regulations and/or the established District-approved policy and procedures.
Submit your Prerequisite Challenge Form (PDF), along with any supporting documentation, at least one week prior to the start of instruction to the instructional department where it will be reviewed by that department's prerequisite challenge committee (locations are listed on the form). You will be informed in writing of the committee's determination within five working days of the review.
The prerequisite for all 300-level math courses (MATH and STAT) and English (ENGWR, ENGED, and ENGCW) courses must be cleared prior to enrollment.
You will be automatically cleared to enroll in a math or English class if:
- You are currently enrolled in the appropriate prerequisite course at a Los Rios college (you must earn a C or better grade or you will be automatically dropped from the higher-level course before the new semester begins).
- You have completed and passed the appropriate prerequisite course at a Los Rios college.
- You have been placed into the math or English course you want to add.
If you completed the equivalent prerequisite course with a grade of C or better at a college or university that is on the Los Rios Approved Math External Equivalency List (PDF) or Approved English External Equivalency List (PDF) then:
- Submit unofficial or official transcripts (unless already on file with SCC Admissions & Records) along with a Prerequisite Challenge Form (PDF) to the Admissions & Records office. Please Note: In-progress coursework cannot be used.
- If verified through a transcript, the external course will be posted as transfer credit on your unofficial Los Rios transcript, which will clear enrollment for math courses. This process may take 3-5 business days, so plan early!
If you did not find your course on the approved equivalency lists above, but believe you have the knowledge or ability to succeed in an English or math course through other college/university coursework (or other credentials), then you may challenge the prerequisite by completing the Challenge Process described in the above section and using the Prerequisite Challenge Form (PDF). Follow the guidelines set forth and submit your form to the English or Math department. If approved, the department will clear you to enroll.
For more information on math and English prerequisite enforcement, please contact Admissions & Records at (916) 558-2351.