The SCC ESL Guided Self-Placement process helps place new students in English as a Second Language (ESL) classes which match their skill level so students can successfully complete their ESL coursework in the shortest possible time.
- It is open to all students whose primary language is not English and any students who wish to enroll in ESL classes for the first time.
- Students with a placement or who already started ESL classes in Los Rios must continue with the next class in the sequence. Speak with your instructors if you feel your level is not correct.
- International Students, please contact the International Student Office: IntlCtr@scc.losrios.edu
ESL Placement Process
The new SCC process starting September 15, 2023 includes:
- examples of short readings at different levels. You decide if they are too hard, too easy, or good for you.
- examples of short student writings at different levels. You decide if the writing level is higher, lower, or just like your writing.
- one sample of a real classroom writing assignment at your level. You decide if it is too hard, too easy, or good for you.
- a short survey about your education and language use.
ESL placement is online, open 24/7. It may take 15-20 minutes but there is no time limit. You will need:
- a computer, or laptop/pad, or smartphone
- a wifi/internet connection
- your SCC Student ID number (e.g., w7654321) and password
If you need help or have questions, please contact Prof. Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write your full name, Student ID number, and email address.
Step 1: Complete the Placement Online
- On the placement page linked below, choose "SCC"
- Log in with your Student ID Number and Password.
- Click on the "English as a Second Language" image.
- You will see a series of questions. Please choose carefully and answer honestly to get the best placement for you!
Step 2: View Your Placement Results Immediately and in eServices
You will see a list of recommended ESL courses immediately when you finish the placement. You may write down or print that information and enroll in those classes. Your instructor will also ask you to show your placement information when you come to class the first time.
You can also find your results in eServices the next day:
- Log into your eServices account using your Student ID number and password.
- Click on the Academic Records tile.
- Click on “Placements”.
Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSPS) Accommodations
If special accommodations are needed or if students have disabilities, they should contact the Disabled Students Programs and Services office before starting the placement process.
Guidelines for Repeating the Placement
Placements are valid for 2 years and will count as your prerequisite for entering that level or any lower level if you choose. Students who already have their placement or who already started ESL classes in Los Rios must continue with the next class in the sequence. Speak with your instructors if you feel your level is not correct.
ESL Professor and Department Chair: Brett Thomas
Phone: (916) 558-2347