Skip to Content

Advanced Education High School Student Admission and Enrollment Steps

Advanced Education is a program that allows current high school students to take classes at Sacramento City College. Advanced Education students may enroll in one or two college courses each semester (across the Los Rios district).


  • The student has completed the 10th grade or will be at least 16 years old by the first day of instruction.
  • The course the student wants to take is not available at their high school.
  • The course is not remedial (courses numbered 1 through 99).
  • The student is not repeating the course due to an unsatisfactory grade.
  • The course is for advanced study and the student can demonstrate adequate preparation and completed prerequisites for the course.

Note: Advanced Education differs from Dual Enrollment, which offers college courses on high school campuses at no cost to students.

Not an Advanced Education Student?

If you are not an Advanced Education student, then you may need to follow different steps. Find out what type of student you are and get the correct steps for you!

What Type of Student Are You?

Apply to Sacramento City College

Create an OpenCCC account using a personal email (or log in if you already have an account) and fill out the online application for Sacramento City College. As an Advanced Education student, select enrolling in high school and college at the same time.

Students who submit an application without a social security number (SSN) can fill out the Student ID Help form to expedite the processing of their application.

Students Must Reside in California

Students who are not physically located in California may not enroll in online courses offered by Sacramento City College. Sacramento City College is not authorized to provide education outside the boundaries of the State of California.

Apply to SCC

Complete the Advanced Education Packet

Read and complete the entire Advanced Education application packet.

The application packet must include your requested courses and be approved by your high school counselor or authorized designee. The completed application requires signatures from you, your parent/guardian, and your high school counselor/authorized designee.

You can list up to six (6) course options on your application; however, you may only enroll in two courses during a single semester across the Los Rios colleges.

Application Deadlines

Fall 2022

  • Accepting application/enrollment dates from April 5 to August 13
  • P.3 Registration: May 13 to 14
  • Fall term start date: August 21

Spring 2023

  • Accepting application/enrollment dates from November 28, 2022 to January 6, 2023
  • Enrollment for Advanced Education: December 15-16, 2023
  • Spring term start date: January 14, 2023

Download the Advanced Education Application Packet.

Note: Download the application to your computer before typing in order to save your information. Do not fill out the application in your internet browser window.

Submit Your Application

You can submit your Advanced Education Form by uploading it, along with your high school transcript, test scores, or other documentation using the online form below. You can also submit the documentation in person at Admissions & Records.

Admissions & Records is open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Submit Advanced Education Packet

Set Up eServices and Los Rios Gmail

eServices is Los Rios' online student portal where students manage their information, records, classes, and more.

After your application is processed, you will receive an email with your Los Rios student ID number (also known as a "W" number or "wID"). This is a seven-digit number with a preceding "W"; for example, W0000001.

You will use your Los Rios ID and password to log in to multiple services, including Canvas, eServices, Los Rios Gmail, and instructional lab computers.

Create Password

Check Your Math and English Placement

Your placement helps you determine which math or English courses you should enroll in.

If you provided your GPA and the last math and English classes you took in high school on your application, then your placement information is automatically updated in eServices.

From your eServices dashboard, click Academic Record, and then click Placements to view your math and English placements.

If you did not enter your high school information on your application, then you may need to submit your high school transcripts or complete a self-evaluation to receive your math and English placement.

For English only, if your cumulative high school GPA is between 2.7 and 2.99, then you are required to submit a letter of support from your past or current high school English teacher stating you are capable of college-level work.

Learn About Placement

Meet With a High School Counselor

Meet with your high school counselor (or designee) to discuss the courses you wish to take.

Your high school counselor will fill out their portion of the Advanced Education application. They will submit your application to Sacramento City College at using their school email. (High school counselors should copy both the student and parent(s) when emailing the college.)

The email must have the following attachments:

  • Completed Advanced Education Application (PDF), including up to six (6) courses approved for enrollment with the Class Name and Class Number. Example: SOC 300, #22323.
  • High school transcript (unofficial).
  • Private school affidavit, when applicable.
  • Age documentation of 16 years of age or older when not displayed on the transcript.

Sacramento City College employees cannot recommend courses for Advanced Education students per California Education Code 48800.

Check Your Los Rios Gmail for Confirmation and Enrollment Information

After your packet is reviewed, you will receive an email notification with your application status.

If approved, then Admissions and Records will enroll you in your selected classes and send you an email confirmation. Log in to your eServices account to see your enrollment date.

If denied, then Counseling will notify you and explain the appeal process. To appeal a denied application, submit the Advanced Education Petition Form. Information and updates about your Advanced Education packet will be emailed to you.

Pay Your Fees

Pay your fees after you are enrolled in classes.

Tuition fees are waived* for Advanced Education students – however, you are responsible for paying the rest of your fees, including the Universal Transit Pass (UTP) and student representation fees.

You can see how much you owe and pay your fees in eServices. From your dashboard, click Financial Account, then Account Balance.

* Tuition fees are not waived for international students.

Pay Fees in eServices

Email Steps

Get Help