West Sacramento Center Writing Center
Schedule an Appointment
Due to the transition to online classes, the West Sac Writing Center will be offering its services to students exclusively via audio and video chat.
To schedule a time to connect with a tutor
Select one of the following contact methods. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Call us at (916) 304-9831
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Online tutoring works just like face-to-face tutoring.
Using Zoom and Google Docs through your Los Rios Gmail, you can meet with a tutor in real time. Just like any appointment in the Writing Center, tutors can help at any stage of the writing process for any class at the West Sacramento Center or at Sacramento City College.
In order to access online tutoring, you will need:
- a webcam
- a microphone
- the Google Chrome web browser
Most newer laptops have both built-in webcams and microphones, and most detachable webcams for desktop computers have built-in microphones. If you don’t have either of these devices, they can be purchased individually at major retailers for a relatively inexpensive price.
Students can schedule appointments with us in the following ways:
- Calling us at (916) 304-9831
- Emailing email@example.com
Or, you may click on the button above that says "Request an Online Appointment."
We will need the following information when you make your appointment:
- What class are you getting tutoring in?
- Who is your instructor?
- What assignment are you working on?
- When is it due?
Upload Your Documents to Google Drive
- Click on the “Apps” button in the top right-hand corner of your Student email page (this looks like a small square grid). Select “Drive.”
- Click “NEW” to upload a new document from your computer’s files.
- Then, click “File upload,” and select the file you want to share with your tutor.
- Find and select your documents to upload them. You can upload Word files, PDF files, and/or JPEG files. Your document will be saved in Google Drive for as long as you want until you delete it.
Share Your Documents with a Tutor
- In your list of uploaded documents in “Drive,” right-click on the document you wish to share.
- Select “Open With.”
- Select “Google Docs.”
- When the document opens, click on the blue “Share” button at the top right-hand corner of the screen. A box will open that says “Share with others.”
- Under “People,” type in the tutor’s email address. You will receive this email address when your appointment is confirmed. Repeat this process for each document you’d like to share with the tutor.
- Five minutes before your appointment, open the confirmation email you received from the Writing Center Gmail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Click on the Zoom link you were sent in the confirmation email to start your appointment.
- You may be prompted to briefly wait in a Zoom waiting room while your tutor prepares for your appointment.
- While you wait, please open and share all of the documents that you will want to go over with your tutor.
West Sacramento Center Writing Center Staff
Most Writing Center tutors are students who have completed ENGWR 300 or ESLW 340 with a grade of A or B, and have attended tutor training workshops. Some tutors are instructional assistant staff and English or ESL department faculty members.
Writing Center Workshops
Each semester, our instructional assistants hold different workshops. The topics of these workshops can cover a variety of topics such as MLA format or even researching tips.
Policies and Guidelines
Our mission is to help you become a better writer. Therefore, we may not edit or write your assignments for you.
We Will Not
- Help with take-home midterms or finals without the explicit consent of your instructor.
- Edit your work.
- Assess or grade your work.
We Can Offer
- Assistance with pre-writing tasks, such as creating an outline or brainstorming.
- Revision advice with regards to sentence, paragraph, and/or essay structure.
- Help identifying patterns of errors.
- Explanations of grammar rules and concepts.
For a comprehensive and more detailed list of our policies, feel free to download West Sacramento Writing Center Policies.
Faculty Referral Form
SCC faculty members may use this form to request that a student work on something specific when coming to the Writing Center.
Phone: (916) 304-9831
- Tuesday to Thursday:
10:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Monday to Wednesday:
10:00 am to 3:00 pm
West Sacramento Center WSAC 322, 3rd floor
1115 West Capitol Avenue
West Sacramento, CA 95691