Skip to Content

International Student Center

Sacramento City College (SCC) has a long history of welcoming international students, and our college is SEVP certified to issue Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. We are committed to international education and to providing quality student support services.

International students are defined as any citizens of a country other than the United States who have or will need school authorization, under federal laws, to enroll as non-immigrant (F-1 visa) students. These students attend SCC for these reasons:

  • Obtain an Associate’s Degree
  • Complete general education courses to transfer to a university
  • Obtain an Associate’s Degree and transfer courses to a university.

We value the rich cultural diversity that is created by the presence of international (F-1 visa) students on our campus, and we look forward to assisting you. Our office staff is available to meet with any prospective students online through ConferZoom. To schedule an appointment, please call or email us.

International Student Admissions

International Students FAQ

What are the responsibilities for international students?

Unit Load

You are required to take 12 units every semester. Schools are required to report to SEVIS when a student drops below a full course of study 12 units or fails to enroll. Note: You are not required to register for the summer session, but you must be registered for a full course of study throughout the academic year in order to maintain your valid student visa status. There are certain circumstances under which SCC can approve dropping below 12 units, but in all cases this approval must be done by SCC before the student actually drops their classes. If that is not done, the student will fall out of status, even if the reason is valid. In other words, it is essential that you contact the International Student Advisor prior to dropping below a full course load.

There are only three reasons why you would be able to drop below 12 units at Sacramento City College:                                                      

  1. Medical reasons documented by a physician.
  2. A student is in his/her final semester and only needs certain courses to graduate.
  3. Academic Difficulty (this can only be approved for one semester).


SCC does not have on-campus housing. It is the responsibility of the student to prepare their own living arrangements. You must be 18 years of age in order to sign a rental agreement in the U.S.

International Students Under Age 18

It is the responsibility of the student and their parents to obtain a power of attorney from an attorney in their country that states who has legal guardianship for the student in the United States. We require a power of attorney before we can issue an I-20.

My visa stamp in my passport has expired. Do I have to return to my home country?

The visa stamp that is in your passport was issued by the U.S. Consulate in your country. It is a document that is used to tell the Port of Entry officer that your application was reviewed by the U.S. Consulate, which determined you could enter the U.S. The visa allows you to travel to the U.S. where the Port of Entry officer will admit you by stamping your I-20 and I-94 card. If you are in the U.S. and your visa expires, you don't need to worry. You can stay in the U.S. with an expired visa, but you will need to renew it if you leave the U.S. and intend to travel back to the U.S. For more information on U.S. visas, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

How can I get a job?

International students have limited employment options. F-1 students are able to work on-campus without any special permission; however, you will need a social security card. Off-campus employment is more difficult to attain. You should speak to the International Student Advisor.

Why do I need to see the International Student Advisor?

You should see the International Student Advisor in Admissions and Records for the following reasons:

  • If you need to travel out of the U.S. at any time, you will need a signature on the third page of your I-20.
  • If you transfer to another school, you will need to have SCC release your SEVIS record.
  • If you change your major and/or need to extend your I-20.
  • If you fall below 12 units.
  • If you change your immigration status, SC will need to terminate your SEVIS record.
  • If you lose your I-20.
  • If you want to work on-campus or off-campus.


If you are currently overseas, please email our office to better serve you.
Phone: (916) 558-2486


Office Hours
Monday to Thursday:
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
8:30 am to 4:00 pm

Pre-Admission Information Hours:
Monday to Thursday:
10:00 am to 4:00 pm
10:00 am to 3:30 pm
(Call to schedule an appointment)


Rodda Hall North, RHN 138
3835 Freeport Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95822