Skip to Content

Definitions of commonly-used terms in the Undocu-Resource Program

The term ‘undocumented immigrant’ refers to anyone residing in any given country without legal documentation. This may include people who:
  • Entered the US without inspection
  • Entered the US legally but overstayed
  • Have or previously had Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status
  • Are in the process of legalizing
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
DACA is a federal program for people who came to the US as children and meet several eligibility requirements. DACA provides a two-year deportation reprieve and applicants may apply for a work authorization permit, which is subject to renewal. It does not provide lawful status. Only adults who were 31 years old or younger on June 15, 2012 qualify for this program. More information about DACA
CA Dream Act (AB 130 and 131)
The California Dream Act (Assembly Bill 130 and Assembly Bill 131) allows undocumented and nonresident documented students who meet certain requirements to apply for and receive:
  • Scholarships
  • State-administered financial aid
  • Community college fee waivers
  • Cal grants
Make sure your high school has verified your GPA. Learn more at California Student Aid Commission, or call (888) 224-7268.
In-State Tuition (AB 540, AB 2000, SB 68)
California laws that allow qualifying students, who would otherwise not be eligible for in-state tuition, to pay in-state tuition at UC, CSU, or California Community Colleges.
  • Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540), passed in 2001 to amend Section 68130.5 of the Education Code. It grants students meeting certain eligibility criteria an exemption from paying nonresident tuition at the CCC. Students granted this exemption will receive in-state CA tuition rates.
  • Assembly Bill 2000 (AB2000), passed in 2014 to amend Section 68130.5 of the Education Code. This is an expansion of AB540. It increases the scope of student eligibility for students who graduated early from a California High School with the equivalent of three or more years of credits. If a student graduates early, they must have attended CA high elementary, middle school, and/or high school for a cumulative total of 3 or more years. It grants students meeting certain eligibility criteria an exemption from paying nonresident tuition at the CCC. Students granted this exemption will receive in-state CA tuition rates
  • Assembly Bill 68 (SB68), passed in 2017 to amend Section 68130.5 of Education Code., This changed the criteria for students eligible for a nonresident tuition exemption, as previously defined in Assembly Bill 540 (2001). Senate Bill 68 expands the requirements of AB 540/ AB 2000 to include attendance at California Community Colleges and attainment of an associate's degree.
Mixed-Status Family
A mixed status family is one in which some family members are US citizens and/or legal residents while others remain undocumented. For example:
  • A documented student with undocumented parents
  • A documented student with undocumented siblings
Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
The Secretary of Homeland Security may designate a foreign country for TPS due to conditions in the country that temporarily prevent the country’s nationals from returning safely, or in certain circumstances, where the country is unable to handle the return of its nationals adequately. The US Citizenship and Immigration Services may grant TPS to eligible nationals of certain countries (or parts of countries), who are already in the United States. Eligible individuals without nationality who last resided in the designated country may also be granted TPS.
Refers to a student who is undocumented and is also part of the DREAM (stands for Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors) Act movement. DREAMer is a term commonly used by students who connect with the DREAM Act movement and is sometimes used as a synonym or in place of terms such as, undocumented, immigrant, and non-U.S. citizen.
International Student
International students include those who currently hold specific visas. Undocumented students are not considered international applicants because many do not qualify for a visa and do not have to go through the international admission process.

International Student Admissions