Many courses and educational programs have enrollment conditions, such as prerequisites, corequisites, or advisories on recommended preparation. These faculty-approved conditions are considered necessary and appropriate to ensure that students are adequately prepared to succeed in the course or educational program. It is the student's responsibility to meet any and all enrollment conditions.
Students may challenge a prerequisite requirement through the challenge process.
A prerequisite is a course that a student is required to take to demonstrate current readiness for enrollment in another course or educational program. For example, in order to take ENGWR 301, a student must have already completed ENGWR 300 with a grade of "C" or better.
A corequisite is a course that a student is required to take during the same semester as another course, or prior to another course. For example, a student needs to take GEOL 300 at the same time as GEOL 301 (or before taking GEOL 301).
An advisory is a condition of enrollment when a student is advised, but not required to meet before, or in conjunction with, enrollment in a course or educational program.
How to Verify Prerequisites or Corequisites
If you are enrolled in a course that has a prerequisite, then you must provide evidence that you have met the prerequisite. Supporting evidence includes:
A Los Rios transcript that verifies that you have earned a "C" or better in the prerequisite course. Current Los Rios students may print an unofficial transcript in eServices. Instructors also have access to this information on their roster if you took the prerequisite class within Los Rios since 2003 (prior course information cannot be viewed).
Los Rios English and/or math placement results.
If you enroll in a course and do not meet the prerequisite, then the instructor must drop you from the course.
If you are enrolled in a course that has a corequisite, then you must provide evidence that you meet the corequisite requirement through one of the following:
Your personal class schedule shows you are currently enrolled in the corequisite course.
A Los Rios transcript that shows you have already completed the corequisite course.
If you do not have the supporting evidence to verify a prerequisite or corequisite but you believe that you should qualify to enroll in the course, then you may challenge a prerequisite or corequisite.
Criteria for challenging a prerequisite or corequisite include:
- You have knowledge or ability to succeed in the course with the prerequisite.
- The prerequisite course is not readily available.
- You believe that the prerequisite is discriminatory or being applied in a discriminatory manner.
- You believe that the prerequisite was established in violation of regulations and/or the established district-approved policy and procedures.
To challenge a prerequisite or corequisite:
- Submit a Prerequisite Equivalency Form – along with any supporting documentation – to the instructional department at least two weeks prior to the start of instruction (locations are listed on the form).
- Your challenge will be reviewed by the department's prerequisite challenge committee.
- You will be informed in writing of the committee's determination within five working days of the review.
Math and English Prerequisite Clearance
Prerequisites for all 300-level mathematics courses (MATH and STAT) and English courses (ENGWR, ENGED, and ENGCW) must be cleared prior to enrollment.
You will be automatically cleared to enroll in a math or English class if:
- You are currently enrolled in the appropriate prerequisite course at a Los Rios college (you must earn a grade of "C" or better or you will be automatically dropped from the higher-level course before the new semester begins).
- You have completed and passed the appropriate prerequisite course at a Los Rios college.
- You have been placed into the math or English course you want to add.
Clearance Through Coursework From Outside of Los Rios
If you completed the equivalent prerequisite course with a grade of "C" or better at a college or university that is on the Los Rios Math Prerequisite Clearance List or English Prerequisite Clearance List then:
- Submit unofficial or official transcripts (unless already on file with the Admissions and Records Office) along with the Prerequisite Equivalency Form to the Admissions and Records Office. Please Note: In-progress coursework cannot be used.
- If verified through a transcript, then the external course will be posted as transfer credit on your unofficial transcript, which will clear enrollment for math courses. This process may take three to five business days, so plan ahead.
If you did not find your course on the approved equivalency lists above – but you believe you have the knowledge or ability to succeed in an English or math course through other college/university coursework (or other credentials) – then you may challenge the prerequisite via the challenge process.
For more information on math and English prerequisite enforcement, please contact Admissions & Records at (916) 558-2351.