International Student Admission Steps
International students are those who are attending college in the US on an F-1 visa. International students are a very important part of the growing college community.
The international (F-1) student application period is closed for Fall 2022. The Spring 2023 application period will be open in September 2022.
Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) March 2020 Guidance
In accordance with the March 2020 guidance from the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), prospective F-1 visa students in new/initial status cannot enter the United States to enroll in a US school as a nonimmigrant student to pursue a full course of study that is 100% online.
Not an International Student?
If you are not an international student, then you may need to follow different steps. Find out what type of student you are and get the correct steps for you!
Apply to Sacramento City College
When you are ready to apply, please email us at email@example.com to schedule a Zoom appointment, during which we will go over the application process. In the Subject line use this format: [Your Last Name], [Your First Name] - [Semester] Application. For example, "Doe, Jane - Fall 2022 Application."
Create an OpenCCC account using a personal email (or log in if you already have an account) and fill out the online application for Sacramento City College.
- You do not need a social security number (SSN) to complete the application.
- After you submit the online application, contact the International Student Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After you submit this application, save or print your confirmation page. You will need a copy of the confirmation page to submit with your international student application packet.
High School Seniors
If you are graduating high school before June and applying for the fall semester, then enter the information on your application as if you have already graduated.
Upload Vaccine Information in eServices
eServices is Los Rios' online student portal where students manage their information, records, classes, and more.
After your initial application is processed, you will receive an official international student admission letter from the International Student Center that contains your Los Rios student ID number (also known as a "W" number or "wID"). This is a seven-digit number with a preceding "W"; for example, W0000001.
All international students must provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. Log in to eServices to submit evidence of your vaccination status. You cannot continue your international student application until you do this.
Submit Additional Required Documents
All non-English documents must be translated into English.
- Copy of the confirmation page from your CCCApply Application to Sacramento City College (see step 1).
- Complete the F-1 International Student Data Form.
- Evidence of English proficiency (no more than 2 years old). One of the following:
- Official TOEFL Score: 60 (iBT) or 500 (ITP). Visit TOEFL for test centers, dates, and fees. Use SCC institutional code #4670 to order.
- IELTS test result of 6.0 minimum
- STEP Eiken (Score: 2A) Japan
- SCC ESL Assessment Test (ESL 315 or higher). This is only available to F-1 students who are currently attending another school in the U.S. and applying to transfer to SCC.
- PTE – Pearson Test of English: minimum score of 39
- Official US college transcript showing successful completion of college-level English (determined by SCC)
- Financial support: Official bank letter verifying $34,000 USD for one year of study. $6,000 USD is required for each dependent. If you have a U.S. sponsor, submit Form I-134, Declaration of Financial Support and supporting documents. An original bank letter issued within 3 months of the application deadline is required.
- Proof of educational history:
- Copy of high school diploma and official high school transcripts (If you are in your final year of high school, request a signed letter from your Principal certifying your expected graduation month, date, and year.)
- Official college transcripts (if applicable). Overseas college transcripts must be evaluated by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE)
- $50 USD non-refundable application fee. After all the documents are submitted, ISC will contact you for online payment.
- Copy of passport photo page
- Students under age 18 must provide an official power of attorney from their home country stating guardianship
Transfer-In F-1 Students
Transfer-in F-1 students who have been attending school in the US must submit these additional documents:
- Verification of F-1 Status Form completed by you and your current International Advisor PDSO/DSO
- Copy of I-94, US Visa, and Passport
- Copy of your current SEVIS Form I-20 and all previous Form I-20
Pre-Enrollment Requirements After Being Accepted
- Purchase Sacramento City College (Los Rios Community College District) health/medical insurance.
- Submit certification of negative Tuberculosis skin test.
Submit all required documents together by the following deadlines. We will not review incomplete applications.
Applicants Outside of the US (Applicants Who Will Need to Apply for F-1 Visa)
- Fall semester: May 1
- Spring semester: November 1
Transfer Applicants in the US (Applicants in the US With a Valid F-1 Status)
- Fall semester: June 1
- Spring semester: November 15
Apply for an F-1 Visa
After you receive your Form I-20 from Sacramento City College, apply for an F-1 visa.
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee.
- Schedule an interview appointment with the US Embassy or Consulate. Visit the US Embassy website to find a US Embassy or Consulate near you.
- Bring your Form I-20, Letter of Acceptance from Sacramento City College, and I-901 receipt to your interview with the US Embassy or Consulate, along with any other documents they request.
You can enter the United States with your I-20 and F-1 Visa 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20. The exact date is listed on your I-20.
Download a PDF of these steps and save it to your device or print it.
Students must use a personal email, not a high school email, to complete their application. Free email accounts are available from many sources:
Note: While all of the providers listed above have millions of users and are widely trusted to be reliable and secure, OpenCCC and the CCC Chancellor's Office do not endorse any particular email providers, and will have no liability should any issues arise with a particular email provider.
You only need to submit one CCCApply application to take classes at any college in the Los Rios district – don't spend unnecessary time submitting separate applications for each college.
After your application is processed, we will email you a student ID number and instructions for next steps.
Students who have created a CCCApply account must log in using the account they created; they should not create a new account. Students who forgot their username/password can use the "Forgot" icon on the CCCApply site.
Students who use this function and still cannot find their username/password can call the OpenCCC helpline. If they don’t have their username or password and aren’t able to answer security questions to retrieve that information, then the student will have to contact CCCApply directly.
Sacramento City College does not have access to CCCApply account information.