Sacramento City College (SCC) allows students who participate and complete the Honors Program at SCC an opportunity to receive access to various transfer agreements.
Honors courses span a variety of disciplines, are university-transferable, are smaller than regular classes, and usually include a research project. Honors students have access to research conferences, honors scholarships, and an annual award banquet.
While there is not a GPA requirement, students are advised that the reading and writing requirements in an honors class are generally more rigorous than in a non-honors class. Eligibility for ENGWR 300 and 480 is suggested. Students are encouraged to discuss the expectations of an honors class with the instructor.
There is no application to join the SCC Honors Program. Students are part of the Honors Program by virtue of being enrolled in honors classes, committing to complete at least 15 honors qualified units, and participating in Honors Program activities.
Students who complete five Honors courses with a 3.2 minimum GPA will receive:
- A certificate celebrating the accomplishment
- A chance to earn one of two $500 cash awards
- An “Honors Scholar” chord and notation in the program at graduation
- Qualification for the UCLA TAP and other transfer alliance programs
- Students with a 3.7 GPA qualify for the UC Irvine Honors to Honors Program
See the Honors Program Coordinator for additional benefits. Completed Honors Program Spring Final Check-In Form must be submitted by April 1 before transfer to receive these benefits.
In addition to the courses listed on the Honors Course List, the following courses may also be used to satisfy the 5 honors courses/15 units honors program requirements:
- up to one SCC 400-level MATH/CHEM/PHYS/BIOL course.
- up to two approved non-honors SCC courses (with an agreement with the professor to complete an extra special research or community service project). See the Canvas site modules for information on which courses are approved non-honors courses.
- up to one 4-unit SCC Foreign Language Course
- up to two (6 units) honors courses from American River College (ARC) or Consumes River College (CRC)
You must complete a minimum of three SCC honors courses, regardless of whether you also use alternative honors-qualifying courses, in order to fill the 15 unit requirement.
Please see the Canvas site modules for more information on this, including an informational flyer and video.
Fall 2022 Honors Courses
- ANTH 480 Honors Biological Anthropology
- CHEM 484 Advanced General Chemistry - Honors
- ENGLT 480 World Literature: Antiquity to the Early Modern World - Honors
- ENGWR 488 Honors College Composition and Research
- HIST 483 History of the United States - Honors
- MUFHL 481 Survey of Music History and Literature (Greek Antiquity to 1750) - Honors
- PHIL 480 History of Classical Philosophy - Honors
- POLS 481 Introduction to Government: United States - Honors
- STAT 480 Introduction to Probability and Statistics - Honors
As you are on your journey here at Sacramento City College, we want to make sure that you are clear about the requirements for our Honors Program. Notice below that we are asking you to check in every spring and every fall to make sure that you are moving forward and fulfilling the necessary requirements. You will not complete all of these requirements in one semester; instead, take your time and enjoy the process of being in our program.
To complete the SCC honors program and receive the benefits, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be eligible for ENGWR 300 and 480, or receive permission from the instructor to enroll.
- Complete 5 honors classes/15 Honors-Qualifying credits with a 3.2+ GPA (see the “course list” section or our Canvas Site Modules for more information)
- Meet at least once with the Honors Program Coordinator, Dana Armstrong (See the contact information section).
- Participate in at least one SCC Honors Program-sponsored event (ex. orientation, workshop, conference, PTK). See our Canvas site and the SCC events calendar for specific information on honors-sponsored events.
- Fill out the Fall Check-In Form (due on October 1st) and the Spring Check-In Form (before April 1st) every fall and spring that you are at SCC. The Final Spring Check-In Form is especially important to submit the spring before transfer, so we know who is completing the program, graduating, and/or transferring. These forms can be found in our Canvas Site modules.
The honors program has a canvas site that we use to communicate with honors students about important information, resources, and events. It is also where honors students will submit their program requirements proof/forms. Please click the link below or contact us with your wID if you are an honors student and have not received an invitation to join.
SCC is part of the Honors Transfer Council of California (HTCC) and UCLA Transfer Alliance Program (TAP). We also partner with the UC Davis University Honors Program and CSU Sacramento Honors Program.
Students who have completed SCC's Honors Program receive priority consideration for admission to UCLA’s College of Letters and Science through the UCLA Transfer Alliance Program (TAP).
Admitted TAP-certified students are eligible to apply for scholarships reserved for the Transfer Alliance Program.
Also, TAP-certified students who are not accepted to their first-choice major, will be considered for their alternate major. The alternate major must be within the College of Letters and Science, and it may NOT be one of the 16 selective/restricted College of Letters and Science UCLA majors. An alternate major review is usually not available to non-TAP transfer applicants to UCLA.
Important Note: UCLA TAP certification is restricted to majors within UCLA’s College of Letters and Science (or The College) only.
How to Qualify
- Complete all the SCC Honors Program Requirements (especially the "complete 5 honors classes/15 Honors-Qualifying credits with a 3.2+ GPA" requirement).
- See the Requirements section under Program Details above for more information on SCC Honors Program requirements.
- Apply to UCLA in the Fall, to a major and/or alternate major within the UCLA College of Letters and Science
- Become UCLA TAP certified by the SCC Honors Program Coordinator and Transfer Center Director during the spring semester (usually before February 20) prior to transfer
UC Irvine Honors to Honors and UC Riverside Honors to Honors programs partner with SCC's Honors Program to give nominated students special consideration when applying to UC Irvine and UC Riverside, as well as access to merit scholarships.
How to Qualify
- Maintain a minimum GPA:
- 3.7 for UCI Honors to Honors
- 3.25 for UC Riverside Honors to Honors
- Apply to UC Irvine, and/or UC Riverside in the Fall
- Become nominated for UCI and/or UCR Honors to Honors by SCC Honors Program Coordinator.
There are many transfer advantages for SCC Honors students at other California colleges and universities. Participating colleges include:
- UC Berkeley
- CSU Fullerton
- San Diego State University
- Azuza Pacific University
- Chapman University
- La Sierra
- Loyola Marymount University
- Mills College
- Pitzer College
- Pomona College
- University of San Diego
- Whittier College
- Whitman College
Summer 2022 Hours
Office hours are by appointment. Please contact Dana Armstrong at ArmstrD@scc.losrios.edu.
Rodda Hall South, RHS 233
3835 Freeport Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95822