Skip to Content
Home Admissions Get Started and Apply Veteran, Reservist, or Dependent of a Veteran Admission and Enrollment Steps

Veteran, Reservist, or Dependent of a Veteran Admission and Enrollment Steps

Sacramento City College helps veteran students and their families with their educational and VA-related needs. Certifying officials act as the link between students and the Department of Veterans Affairs. We understand that the transition from military to college life can be difficult and are committed to providing the best possible care in appreciation for your sacrifice and service.

Sacramento City College adheres to Executive Order 13607 Establishing Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members.

Learn about education benefits offered by VA through the GI Bill®. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Not a Veteran, Reservist, or Dependent?

If you are not a veteran, reservist, or dependent of a service-connected disabled or deceased veteran, then you may need to follow different steps. Find out what type of student you are and get the correct steps for you!

What Type of Student Are You?

Apply to Sacramento City College

Create an OpenCCC account using a personal email (or log in if you already have an account) and fill out the online application for Sacramento City College.

Students who submit an application without a social security number (SSN), work authorization SSN, or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) will need to fill out a Student ID Help Form to process their application and receive their student ID number.

High School Seniors

If your high school completion date is before June and you are applying for the summer or fall semester, then enter the information on your application as if you have already graduated. Please note the “as of” dates outlined throughout the application.

Selecting a Major/Goal

If you're unsure what you want to study, explore careers with PathwayU – a free tool for students to explore where their interests, values, personality, and workplace preferences intersect with career fields and programs of study available at Sacramento City College. Start by completing the simple PathwayU assessments and see where the results take you!

Students who select "undecided" as their major/goal are not eligible for financial aid. We encourage you to select what you are most interested in right now.

Students Must Reside in California

Students who are not physically located in California may not enroll in online courses offered by Sacramento City College. Sacramento City College is not authorized to provide education outside the boundaries of the State of California.

Apply to SCC

Save Money – Apply for Financial Aid

Financial aid is any source of funds that help you pay for college. We recommend that you submit a financial aid application to see what you qualify for! 

Sacramento City College's federal school code is 001233.

The FAFSA is the gateway to most federal and state financial aid opportunities for US citizens, permanent residents, and eligible non-citizens, including:

If you are not a US Citizen, then you may be eligible for the California Dream Act. You can submit the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) if you meet the non-resident exemption requirements under AB 540, AB 2000, or SB 68, and any of the following are true:

  • You are undocumented.
  • You have a valid or expired DACA status.
  • You are a U Visa holder.
  • You have Temporary Protected Status (TPS).

Submit Forms to Veterans Affairs Office

Thes following forms are available at the VA How to Apply website.

For Veterans or Reservists

If you are a veteran or reservist applying for VA educational benefits for the first time, then complete VA Form 22-1990.

If you are a veteran or reservist and you are transferring from another college where you used VA educational benefits, then complete VA Form 22-1995.

For Dependents

If you are a dependent applying for VA educational benefits for the first time, then complete VA Form 22-5490.

If you are a dependent and you are transferring from another college where you used VA educational benefits, then complete VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5495. – How to Apply

Submit Official Transcripts

Per VA policy, all transcripts – regardless of whether VA education benefits were used or not – must be submitted to SCC to grant all appropriate credit to the student's academic record.

Request and submit all official transcripts from colleges/universities you attended as well as military transcripts.

Submit by Mail

Sacramento City College
Student Services Building 103
3835 Freeport Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95822

Submit by Email

Official transcripts can be sent electronically to, but they must come directly from the college or university. Contact Admissions & Records at (916) 558-2351 if you have questions.

Where to Request Military Transcripts

If Non-Resident, Apply for In-State Tuition

The State of California offers in-state tuition for active military members, their dependents, and veterans who have been honorably discharged.

Effective Fall 2015, the State of California offers in-state tuition for active military members and their dependents, as well as veterans who have been honorably discharged. Any veteran or dependent who meets the criteria as outlined by Assembly Bill 13 is eligible for a non-resident tuition exemption.

If this applies to you, then complete the Residency Reclassification Application in eServices.

  1. Log in to your eServices account.
  2. Click Student eForms and Petitions.
  3. Select Residency to bring up your form options.
  4. Click Start Residency Reclass/Appeal to begin.

Set Up eServices and Los Rios Gmail

eServices is Los Rios' online student portal where students manage their information, records, classes, and more.

After your application is processed, you will receive an email with your Los Rios student ID number (also known as a "W" number or "wID"). This is a seven-digit number with a preceding "W"; for example, W0000001.

You will use your Los Rios ID and password to log in to multiple services, including Canvas, eServices, Los Rios Gmail, and instructional lab computers.

Create Password

Complete Orientation

New student orientation gives you important information to help you succeed in college.

Orientation gives new students a strong start at Sacramento City College by providing planning, support, and guidance. Learn about important forms and tasks you need to complete before you start classes.

View Orientation (City Jam)

Check Your Math and English Placement

Your placement helps you determine which math, English, or English as a Second Language (ESL) courses you should enroll in.

Students can check their placement in eServices.

  1. From your eServices dashboard, click Academic Records.
  2. Click Placements to view your math and English placements.

Recent High School Graduates

If you graduated high school less than 10 years ago and you provided your GPA and the last math and English classes you took in high school on your application, then your placement information is automatically updated in eServices.

Older High School Graduates and Others

If any of the following are true for you, then you may need to submit your high school transcripts or use the guided self-placement process to receive your math and English placement:

  • Graduated high school more than 10 years ago
  • Left high school without graduating
  • Did not enter your high school information on your application
  • Attended a foreign high school

Learn About Placement

Submit Forms to Veterans Affairs Office

Submit these forms to SCC's Veterans Affairs Office as soon as you receive your student ID.

Complete and submit the following forms:

New Student Veterans

  1. VA Form 22-1990
  2. DD214 Member 4 Copy or Notice of Basic Eligibility for Reserve GI Bill® Only (NOBE)

Transfer Student Veteran

  1. VA Form 22-1995 Change of Program/Place of Training
  2. Certificate of Eligibility (optional)
  3. DD214 Member 4 Copy or Notice of Basic Eligibility for Reserve GI Bill® Only (NOBE)

New Student Dependents

  1. 22-5490 Chapter 35 DEA Application or VA Form 22-1990 Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) Application or Certificate of Eligibility
  2. Birth certificate (child) or marriage certificate (spouse)

Transfer Student Dependents

  1. 22-5495 Chapter 35 Change of Program/Place of Training or VA Form 22-1995 Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) Change of Program/Place of Training
  2. Certificate of Eligibility (optional)
  3. Birth certificate (child) or marriage certificate (spouse) 

Meet With a Counselor

Make an appointment with a counselor to create a new VA Education Plan or update an existing one.

If you have prior college credit, then schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor to complete your VA education plan (this is a one-hour appointment).

If you are on active duty and not in the area, then phone appointments are available.

Per VA policy, a VA education plan is required to determine which courses are payable for VA education benefits. Only courses (including prerequisites) that satisfy requirements for a program of study can be reported to the VA. Following your education plan will ensure successful certification with minimal delays.

All official transcripts must be on file with Admissions & Records before you can make an appointment with a counselor to create a VA education plan. A counselor will not be able to complete the VA education plan without transcripts, and this will delay the certification process.

Make a Counseling Appointment

Meet With a Counselor and Pick Your Classes

Meet with a counselor to create an educational plan and pick classes to meet your goals.

Enroll in Classes

Veterans qualify for Priority 0 registration.

You will be assigned an enrollment appointment, which is the earliest date and time you can enroll in classes. You can find your enrollment appointment in eServices.

You can enroll in classes at multiple Los Rios colleges. To do this, log in to eServices and follow these steps:

  1. Click Manage Classes.
  2. Click Add Another College.
  3. Follow the instructions to add the college where you want to take classes for the selected term.

Enroll in Classes

Pay Your Fees

If you are using chapters 30, 1606, 1607, or 35 benefits, then pay your fees soon after you enroll to avoid being dropped.

Veterans who are using chapters 30, 1606, 1607, or 35 benefits are responsible for paying their own enrollment fees.

Note: Only students using chapters 31 (VOC rehab) or 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) have their fees paid by the VA. If you use chapters 31 or 33 benefits, then you need to submit a request for certification each semester after you enroll.

Your tuition and fees are due soon after you enroll in classes. You may be dropped if your fees are not paid by the fee payment deadline. This is true even if you enroll in a class that starts later in the semester.

You can see how much you owe in eServices. From your dashboard, click Financial Account, then Account Balance.

Pay Fees in eServices

Self-Certify Enrollment Each Month

Self-certify your enrollment to receive payment each month.

Chapters 30 or 1606

Students using chapters 30 or 1606 must self-certify their enrollment on the last day of each month, which initiates direct deposit or payment. To self-certify, go to WAVE or call (877) 823-2378.

Chapter 33

Students using chapter 33 who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments must self-certify their enrollment each month. If you fail to verify your information for two consecutive months, then your monthly payments will be placed on hold and you will have to take additional steps to verify your enrollment and have the payments released. Visit the VA Enrollment Verification and Training webpage to learn how to self-certify.

Get Help