Students participate in three full-time clinical practicums throughout the program:
- Three weeks (112 hours) during the summer semester
- Two six-week (240 hour) practicums during the second year of the program
Placements in clinical practicums are made by the program Director of Clinical Education or designate.
Placements are limited to the number of students the clinical facilities can accept. Affiliated clinical sites are located throughout California, with the majority in the greater Sacramento and northern/central California region.
The Director of Clinical Education will obtain preferences from students regarding geographic location and types of facilities they are interested in. All students will experience both inpatient and outpatient settings. Student preferences, learning needs, and availability of sites are all factors in determining placements.
Placement in clinical practicums is dependent on the student meeting the educational requirements of the program and the health and physical capability requirements of the participating facility offering the opportunity. This includes:
- Meeting educational standards as outlined in the PTA Policy and Procedure Manual
- Completion of a physical examination
- Immunizations (TDap, MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, COVID Vaccinations and booster, Annual Influenza)
- TB test
- Healthcare provider CPR
- First aid, bloodborne pathogen course, and HIPAA training
- Background check
- Drug and Alcohol Screening
- Health Insurance
Many clinical sites also require students to show proof of health insurance.