Continuing ESL Students
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) for continuing ESL students.
I will be applying as an international (F-1 visa) student. Can I take the ESL assessment to meet the English proficiency requirement for admission?
I am currently attending a school in the U.S.
Yes, you can take the ESL assessment to meet the English proficiency requirement for admission.
I am applying from overseas.
No, you cannot take the ESL assessment to meet the English proficiency requirement for admission. See International Student Admissions for the applicable tests (under Application Requirements).
Intermediate Certificate of Proficiency
Show you have earned your intermediate certificate:
Questions about completing the form: Email Professor Leonard, LeonarD@scc.losrios.edu
You need to complete:
- ESL 55 (= old courses ESLR 50 + ESLW 50)
- ESLG 51 (= old course ESLG 50)
- ESLL 51 (= old course ESLL 50)
Advanced Certificate of Proficiency
You need to complete:
- ESL 325 (= old courses ESLR 320 + ESLW 320)
- ESLG 320
- ESL 114
Get your placement and ask our ESL Chair, Brett Thomas, at ThomasB@scc.losrios.edu.
Yes, you can! If a professor will support you, fill out the prerequisite challenge below.
You will need:
- a document showing your level (an essay or assignment you can upload that got a high score)
- to give an instructor's name (with permission) who supports your challenge
Our course is equal to ENGWR 300*, now transferable to:
- University of California (UC) -Area 1A
- California State University (CSU) - Area A2
If you have taken ESL 325 or ESLW 320, or assess into ENGWR 300 and are a multilingual student, ESLW 340 is for you!
*If you're applying to Nursing, you might need ENGWR 300 instead of our ESLW 340. Please ask your counselor or our ESL Chair, Brett Thomas, at ThomasB@scc.losrios.edu.
Our ESL Counselors
- Jamil Malik
- Dinh Bui
- Leonela Lepe
- Anh Nguyen
- Sandra Guzman
- Tina Dang
- Maristella Bacod
Other Important Contacts
- UC/CSU Transfer: Maristella Bacod
- Undocumented Scholars: Sandra Guzman
- EOPS: Leonela Lepe
- EOPS: Kathleen Dorn
Or any of our excellent team of SCC counselors.
See you in class!
ESL Professor and Department Chair: Brett Thomas
Phone: (916) 558-2347