Notice to Applicants Due to COVID-19 Impact
Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Dental Assisting students enrolled in the spring semester 2020 were unable to complete all of their coursework as schedule. These students will be returning during the fall semester 2020 to complete all course requirements. Since this will take much of our faculty’s time and attention, the fall 2020 cohort will be reduced from 36 students to 12 students. Those students who were expecting a seat in the program (applicants 13-36) will be the first to be offered a position in the program for fall 2021. Applications will still be accepted during the next application cycle (January 1 – April 1) however there will be a limited number of seats available for new applicants.
To be eligible for enrollment in the Dental Assisting Program, the student must meet one of the following criteria:
- Completion of ENGRD 310 or ESLR 320 with a grade of “C” or better and completion of ENGWR 101 or ESLW 310 with a grade of “C” or better
- or overall high school GPA of 2.5 or above
- or successful completion of DAST100 with a grade of “C” or better
Proof of eligibility can be provided by submitting one of the following::
- submitting an unofficial college transcript indicating the successful completion of an appropriate level English Reading course
- or submitting the results of assessment testing that verifies placement in an appropriate level English Reading course.
Prior achievement of an Associates Degree or higher at a regionally accredited college or university will be accepted as proof of meeting both the English Reading and the English Writing requirements.
How to Apply
Eligible students are selected for the program according to the following steps:
- All eligible candidates will be entered into a random selection pool.
- The first 36 eligible applications will be selected for the program; all others are alternates and will be notified if seats become available
Notifications are sent to the email provided in your application; please use your primary email address.
Accepted students are required to provide documentation of:
- Ability to perform essential job-related functions of a dental hygienist
- Completed physical examination and immunizations
- TB test
- Current professional level CPR certification
- Completion of criminal background check
- 8-panel drug screening test