Current and former Partnership HealthPlan of California (PHC) members who apply and are accepted in the upcoming Sacramento City College (SCC) community health worker (CHW) training program may be eligible for up to a $1,000 scholarship to be applied to tuition and direct educational expenses (e.g. application fees and books).
Dates and Deadlines
For interested SCC students:
- January 29, 2024: SCC will begin accepting CHW program applications
- May 31, 2024: deadline to complete the CHW application
- May 31, 2024: deadline to apply for PHC’s CHW scholarship
- Those interested in applying for PHC’s CHW scholarship should email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application
- August 2024: CHW student cohort begins
Why We're Offering This Scholarship
PHC believes our current or former members who have an excellent understanding of the community in which they live could make an ideal CHW. A CHW can act as a liaison between health, social services, and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality, health equity, and cultural competence of service delivery. In 2019, the California Future Health Workforce Commission identified the CHW role as one of the 10 priorities to invest in over a 10-year period to help close California’s health care workforce gaps.
Notes on Your County of Residence
The SCC CHW training program includes both a virtual and an in-person practicum to take place. All interested applicants residing within the counties PHC serves are eligible to participate.