- CHEMT 201 and CHEMT 301 will not be offered Fall 2021.
- If you have already taken some chemistry courses, you may already qualify for our level 1 certificate. If so, reach out to one of our Coordinators in the Contact panel.
The Chemical Technology Program trains students for a wide variety of career opportunities as a scientific laboratory technician. Students will not only be instructed in the theory and fundamentals of chemistry, but will also be given hands-on lab training using sophisticated state-of-the-art lab instrumentation. Students who satisfactorily complete the program will be awarded a Certificate of Achievement.
ChemTech students have the opportunity to earn three different levels of certification:
- Level 1 Certificate
Beginning Chemical Technician
- Level 2 Certificate
Intermediate Chemical Technician
Certificate 1 + 11.5 Units
- Level 3 Certificate
Advanced Chemical Technician
Certificate 2 + 19 Units
The Chemical Technology Program trains students for a wide variety of scientific laboratory technician career opportunities. Students not only will be instructed in the theory and fundamentals of chemistry, but they will also be exposed to hands-on training with lab equipment and sophisticated state-of-the-art lab instrumentation. Students will be taught how to follow safety procedures, how to perform standard laboratory techniques, and how to prepare clear, thorough lab reports.
Throughout the program there will be emphasis on clear written communication and correct mathematical calculations. Students will be challenged to strengthen problem-solving and critical-thinking skills. They also will have opportunities to develop effective verbal communication and to use software commonly employed in scientific labs.
A student who satisfactorily completes the program will be awarded a Certificate of Achievement. Students who complete the program may also qualify for an Associate in Science degree by fulfilling the Graduation Requirements specified in this catalog.
Learn the Skills that Get You Hired
- Learn from knowledgeable faculty
- Hands-on job training
- Gain experience with state-of-the-art instrumentation
$23.21 per hour
as of May 2018
$24.84 per hour
as of May 2018
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Winery Analysis Technician
- Forensic Science Technician
- Cannabis Technician
- Chemical Plant Technician
- Chemical Instrument Specialist
- Environmental Science and Protection Specialist
- Food and beverage companies
- Water treatment facilities
- Cannabis testing laboratories
- Environmental monitoring
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Your Company Name Here!
- Tuition fees (may vary by semester)
- Personal protective equipment
- Lab supplies
Recommended High School Preparation
Completion of college-preparatory English and general mathematics courses are desirable.