Sacramento City College
CalWORKs 558-2307
Orientations Benefits Counseling Job Services Employer Services Contact Us
 
California Work Opportunity & Responsibility to Kids is a state-funded Welfare-to-Work program designed to help individuals on public assistance become self-sufficient.

Sacramento City College's CalWORKs program works together with other community agencies to provide comprehensive services that promote self-sufficiency through education, vocational training, and employment. At Sacramento City College, we strive to help our CalWORKs students obtain lifelong learning through education, and gain access to the work force and a new career, while providing support services that help ensure a successful transition.

Anyone receiving TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families), formerly known as AFDC, may be eligible to receive the services provided by the Sacramento City College CalWORKs program. You must attend an Information Session to begin your participation in the program. Information Sessions are held:

    ORIENTATIONS
    Tuesdays 5:30-6:30 p.m.

    Wednesdays

    Noon-1:00 p.m.

top

Our Benefits Include

  • Career Guidance & Placement
  • Childcare Information 
  • Education Planning
  • Job Services
  • Support Service Referrals—on & off Campus (e.g. Crisis Counselors, Food, Housing, Clothing, etc.)
  • Vocational Assessment
  • ...And Much More!

top

Counseling Services

The CalWORKs Counselors are here to help you develop an Education Plan that will allow you to stay in school and receive CalWORKs benefits. CalWORKs counselors, in addition to designing attainable Education Plans, can help:

  • Assess your talents, abilities & interests
  • Ensure your college success
  • Explore your career goals
  • With resources/referrals that resolve barriers with which you may be confronted

top

Job Services

The CalWORKs Work Study Program (CWSP) was designed to help CalWORKs students complete their work requirements and obtain marketable job skills related to their current education/training goals. To qualify:

  • CWSP participants must be Sacramento City College students.
  • CWSP participants must be enrolled & making good progress in a minimum of 6 units per full-length semester. (1 unit during the Summer semester).
  • Attend a CalWORKs Information Session (See Schedule Above).
  • Meet with CalWORKs Counselor & complete your Educational Assessment/Planning process, discover the number of hours you need to work in order to fulfill your county's work activity requirement.

You may request to be referred to the CalWORKs Job Services/CWSP staff for an employment assessment interview, job readiness workshops, and referral to potential worksite interviews.
top

Employer Services

Interested in subsidized employee wages? CWSP currently allows up to 75% of the hourly wages to be paid through the Sacramento City College CalWORKs Program. This leaves a minimun of 25% of the students' salaries to be paid by the employer.

Job Services can be reached at (916) 558-2676
top

Meet the Staff

 
Supervisor
Sherri Goldberg
(916) 558-2230
Case Worker Holly Kivlin (916) 558-2307
Human Services Specialist (DHA) (916) 558-2131

We are ready, willing & waiting to help you achieve your goals.
top