In order to provide the best services, the DRC has set up responsibilities for student assistants to follow.
They are listed below, and must be followed throughout the semester:
Student assistants will:
- Only provide the specific disability accommodation(s) assigned by DRC staff.
Refer the student to the DRC if a student requests disability accommodations that you have not been assigned.
- Meet the student in the classroom on the first assigned day unless otherwise specified. Introduce yourself to the
instructor, and inform him or her of the types of assistance you are providing for the student. On the first day of
assigned classes, you must confirm with DRC that you have met with the student.
- For notetaking services/notetakers will write a detailed summary of the instructor’s lecture, including anything written
on the board; summarize class discussion; and provide neatly written notes immediately after class.
They will not write verbatim (word-for-word) notes.
- Be on time and attend the entire class period. During class, do not use your cell phone, text message,
or socialize with other students.
- Wait 15 minutes for a student to arrive to class. If the student is absent, immediately report the absence to the DRC.
- Keep all information confidential regarding the students you assist.
Do not ask the student about his/her disability. If an instructor or other students inquire about a student’s disability,
refer them to the DRC. Confidentiality is extremely important.
Student assistants will not:
- Attend class if the student is absent
- Tutor or do homework
- Meet with instructors
- Participate in class
- Correct or edit homework
- Meet with the student off campus or socialize during class
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
Fong Vang, DRC Student Personnel Assistant